Thursday 3 November 2016

Butterfly in the snow

Have you ever seen a butterfly on a snowy day? I've not, but if our strange weather patterns continue, it may well start to happen. Yesterday we woke to frost, yet in the afternoon there was a butterfly in the garden.


For this card. I made a watercolour background and then overstamped it with the snowflake (a very old Hero Arts stamp) in the same colours. Then I stamped the snowflake again in silver over everything else and embossed it with silver embossing powder although having to take the photo in electric light has made it look more brown than silver.

The sentiment was a free gift with an order, but I can't remember whether it was from Paper Artsy or Crafty Individuals. I added silver matting and a die cut butterfly, using the Memory Box butterfly die I won in Liz (Crafty Sunflower)'s recent blog candy.

I think this would work well as either a Christmas card or a winter birthday card.

I'm sharing this with
Rubber Dance - Purple, Pink, Turquoise and a very happy birthday to Bibi!
Butterfly Challenge - Quote and/or Quicksilver
Cuttlebugmania - Tic Tac Toe - I chose embossing/die cuts/purple
Naughty or Nice - Don't Pull Your Punches  (just to prove that I CAN do Nice sometimes!)

19 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a really unusual Christmas card, Jane. It's fabulous. The lovely background works so well with the butterfly and I just love that greeting. You are very lucky to still be seeing butterflies at this time of the year, especially as there have been so many fewer spotted this summer. Elizabeth xx

Di said...

Oh SNAP Jane! This is too funny! I found that same wording in a Uniko stamp set here and was just working out how to make a design around it ..... and you beat me too it! A beautiful card, much nicer that I would have made. Back to the drawing board for me :)

Hugs

Di xx

Crafting Queen said...

Beautiful card, great colours. Found a butterfly inside our house on Sunday. :)

Mrs A. said...

This is a beauty Jane. Great sentiment. The light at the moment is certainly taxing our photographic skills(or in my case lack of). We have also had a large butterfly out in the garden the last few days. Sunning itself on the warm bricks on the side of the house and I still have a buddleia out in flower that it has been settling onto. Thankyou for being the first to enter my latest challenge where your card will have a chance for both prizes. Hugs Mrs A.

Barb said...

This is lovely Jane. I really like the design and have a friend with a birthday on Christmas Day. I think I might have to CASE this for Lily. Barbxx

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey said...

I'm going to try this comment again... thanks for joining us at Naughty or Nice Challenges with this gorgeous card! (The amazeballs watercoloured background totally confused me.) :P

Bibi Lindahl said...

Beautiful background! Nice idea to stamp the snowflake in the colours of the background first, then again with silver embossing! Thank you for joining our November challenge at Rubber Dance ♥

Barbara Godden said...

Beautiful background fabulous card, love that sentiment.

Darnell said...

This is gorgeous, Jane! Great idea to layer the colors with stamping the snowflake in colored inks and then top it off with silver embossing! I'll bet it is amazingly schparkly in person!! Enjoy the weekend! Hugs, Darnell

cotnob said...

This is beautiful Jane, gorgeous colours.
Pauline
x

Dotty Jo said...

Thanks for playing along at Naughty or Nice, Jane, I love your colouring and the touches of gold. You saw a butterfly???? I bet it had its scarf and gloves on, Jo x

Kath said...

A fabulous card - the colours of your background are stunning and your quote beautiful. Thank you for joining us at the Butterfly Challenge.
Kath x

Liz said...

I've just uploaded a card for the Butterfly Challenge and was looking through some of the entries. Somehow I missed yours when you posted it, so I clicked on the link. I couldn't believe I used exactly the same quote! 😳 Gorgeous card. I love how you've blended all the colours...and you know I love the butterfly die cut. xx

Susanne Rose said...

Fantastic card! I love your background! Thank you for entering our challenge over at Rubber Dance. Hugs, Susanne.

ionabunny said...

Ha ha, you are so funny Jo. Hugz

ionabunny said...

Lovely card Jane. CI I think. I have that one as well. Love how you made the background. Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance challenge. Hugz

Swissie said...

Oh! This is just wonderful! I love the colours.
Thank you for joining Cuttlebug Mania this time!
Swissie

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

Wow! Amazing to have frost in the morning and then a butterfly in the afternoon! Crazy to think the poor thing could survive the cold! And, your card is really pretty! I just love the colors and the sentiment! Thanks for joining us at Naughty or Nice! I look forward to seeing you there again!! Cyndi, DT