Sunday 6 November 2016

Howls in Hats

Howls? It's the word I've used for owls ever since a holiday in Mexico about 12 years ago.... it's a long story.....

 

Anyway, after our lovely meal on Friday night my sleep must have been affected, because I had some very vivid crafting dreams, and in the morning I said to Mark "I need to get  a die set of an owl on a tree branch".

We set off for our drive around the New Forest and when we stopped to look around Lyndhurst there was a lovely craft shop. Naturally I had to go in and it was like entering an Aladdin's Cave - I've never seen such a huge range of stock in one small shop. What I didn't realise at the time is that it's the shop belonging to Emerald Crafts, so their shop must hold the huge assortment of stuff on sale on their website. I didn't like to spend too long (or too much!) in there with Mark waiting for me, but when I spotted this Yvonne Creations die set called Magnificent Christmas I reckoned it was just there waiting for me to come in the shop! It would have been rude not to buy it....

The owls can be used with or without hats, making this a versatile year round set, and are a great way to use up a handful of snippets. Rather than trying to inlay all those tiny pieces, I drew around the owl dies onto deep yellow card and then cut slightly inside the lines and glued the pieces to the backs of  the die cuts. The branch is cut from a snippet of wood grain effect paper and the sentiment is a Studio G stamp.

I'm sharing this with Pixie's Snippets Playground week 254 and Crafting Musketeers - Christmas Wishes

6 comments:

Di said...

Brilliant card Jane! I loved reading about your New Forest break (well done on the win!) and you also made a great card for the hotel staff as well (see, I do hop about your blog!).

Those owls are adorable! What a lucky girl to visit Emerald Crafts - been meaning to go for ages with Mrs A for a run out (in the car, not on trotters though!). I do order from them on line but never been to the shop itself.

Your comment re. Liz intrigued me - have scoured both your blog posts - don't tell me you bumped into her?!

Hugs

Di xx

crafty-stamper said...

Another beautiful CAS card love the owls die and must have been meant to be
Carol x

Liz said...

LOVE this card! The owls are so cute, I'm not surprised that you couldn't resist them.

I've went to Emerald Crafts several years ago when we stayed in Lyndhurst - great little shop. xx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I love these super cute gorgeous owls Jane, think I would have had these too. I love this card.

Sue xx

Kuni said...

What a wonderful card.
Hugs
Kuni
my new challenge blog start on the 10th november and i hope to see you.
http://sweetstamperschallenge.blogspot.de/

Barb said...

I love this card Jane. Who could resist this fabulous set. Barbxx