Tuesday 22 November 2016

Guest Designer at Retro Rubber

I am absolutely delighted to have been asked to be guest designer at Retro Rubber again. This time the challenge is a sketch


A super versatile sketch too, that would lend itself to any style of cardmaking. The only constraint is that you must use at least one stamp that is over a year old, and tell us what the stamp is and roughly how old.

I've chosen to dig out some of my old Oriental stamps, mostly from not last time it was a fashionable these, but the time before. Eschewing the popular red/black/gold colour scheme for Oriental cards, I decided on a cooler green/black/gold one.


All the stamping is done in black Versamark and heat embossed with clear powder. The background for the topper panel is made by randomly sponging inks from the lighter end of a Kaleidacolour soft greens pad over white card. The gold edging is made using a tonertext pen and gold foil from Foilplay.
Stamps used are:
Topper - Tandastamps (no longer available) - around 12 years old
Vertical panel - unknown UM, possibly All Night Media, given to me around 15 years ago but not new then
Characters used for sentiment - Raindrops on Roses, around 15 years old
 Dragonfly - Hampton Arts "Dragonfly Background" - 7-8 years old.

I'm afraid I don't know what the writing says - I can identify a few of the characters in the background panel from my years of living in Hong Kong, but not the ones for the sentiment. I hope it's nothing rude! I used to laugh, in Hong Kong, as there was a fashion at the time for clothing, stationery and fashion accessories bearing apparently random English words, and often we thought the wearers must be completely unaware of the meaning. Once in quite a smart restaurant we saw a man wearing a t-shirt that said "The harder you pull, the harder it gets." I really HOPE he didn't go out to lunch fully aware of what his t-shirt said! But then for all I know, my card might say "I hope your mother in law gets bludgeoned to death with a wet guinea fowl" and I'll never be any the wiser.

12 comments:

Debbie Mageed said...

Jane, I am so happy that you are joining us again as our Guest Designer! I always love seeing your cards in our gallery. Your card today is beautiful and so unusual. I don't get to see many Asian inspired cards, possibly due to your observation that we aren't able to read what they say! LOL Thanks for joining our challenge and would love to see you in our gallery again very soon!!

crafty-stamper said...

congrats on your GDT spot and beautiful monochrome card and love the stamps -had a laugh at what you hoped it didn't say lol
Carol x

Maria Rodriguez said...

Hello Jane: I'm also so happy you are our Guest Designer again, this card is gorgeous, the beautiful shade of greens and gold are really a very refreshing change from the traditional colors of Oriental motifs.
I only have a couple of little sets of stamps with really beautiful images and this one you used is absolutely lovely.
Thank you for sharing this gorgeous card with us at RETRO RUBBER, hope you join us again next time.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.

Claire Grantham said...

Hey Jane, great to have you with us again! Love your beautiful card today, wonderful use of the sketch and love the colour palette you have chosen. I am LOL at your final comment, I do hope card says that, its the wet guinea fowl part...Really hope to see you again soon in the Retro Rubber gallery. Clairex

Katy McGloin said...

LOL, Jane.... I always wonder about the meaning behind unknown symbols. I love your using the green with the black and gold... fresh and very appealing! The gold edging is a wonderful way of obtaining the pop normally produced with gold panels. Thanks so much for being our guest designer once again... we always love seeing your creativity in our gallery!!

Foil Play said...

Beautiful card Jane - and lol at the t-shirt story :D

Jane Knudsen said...

Hi Jane! Thank you so much for being our guest designer for this challenge! You really outdid yourself and I love the color scheme you chose. Very rich looking and that touch of gold on the edges - brilliant! Your cards never disappoint and I am delighted we got to showcase you! Thanks again! jane

creative lady said...

Jane,love your card. I love the color....the bold sentiment and images against the green is perfect. Congrats on being a guest designer! Thanks for joining us and hope to see you more often.

Marsha Reed said...

Hi Jane! You're card is gorgeous! And, that's coming from someone who is not too fond of green. Love the butterflies and dragon flies. It's a fantastic design.

PJ said...

Your card is just bursting with bold green and black. I had to smile reading that one has to just "assume" we are stamping nice words. I have some Asian stamps and I'm always hoping they say things like peace, love, joy... Any ways.. Fabulous card.

lauren bergold said...

just saw this glorious masterpiece at retro rubber! holy moly! soooooo AMAZING!

Christine Traversa said...

This is so lovely! Frame it! ❤️ Thanks for joining us at RR!