Saturday 13 January 2018

Feathers for Twofers

In case you haven't heard, in which case you must have spent the last few weeks hiding under a mountain of mince pies (have you finished them all yet?) there's a brand new challenge in the blogosphere - Twofers, the brainchild of the lovely and talented Darnell.

The idea is to make two different cards, for different occasions, using the same stamp or die, and the theme for the very first challenge is FEATHERS.


Here is my pair of cards, using a beautifully opulent feather stamp which was designed some years ago by Linda Luckin - I'm afraid it is no longer available. I've used it to make two very, very different cards,  but as you can see I chose to emphasise the twoferliciousness by using the same layout for both.

So, I'm linking this first image up to Twofers - now for a closer look at the individual cards and the challenges I am linking them to.

First of all, the left hand, inky card.


This started off as something of an experiment -  I sometimes stamp an image in Versamark ink and then brush mica powders over it. I wondered if I could get a more two tone effect by substituting the Versamark for a coloured Versafine ink, so that's what I tried. I used a blue ink and a green powder - the result was very much NOT what I'd expected or hoped for but I rather liked it, so hastily planned a completely different card from the one that I'd had in mind.

Going back to the Versamark ink, I stamped the feather randomly over white card for the background, embossing with clear powder, then sponged purple, blue and olive green inks all over the card and buffed with a tissue to give a resist effect. The sentiment (a magazine freebie) is stamped in olive green although it looks black on the photo, and all the elements edged with purple.

I chose the "Congratulations" sentiment because I was thinking of the phrase "That's a feather in your cap!". In fact if I can find a suitable font I might print out an insert saying exactly that.

I am sharing this with
Rubber Dance - Purple, Blue and Olive green
Allsorts - No Patterned Paper

Now onto the second card


I always think feathers look lovely on sympathy cards, as do CAS styles and shades of purple, and today I decided to use the words "Thinking of you" rather than "With deepest sympathy" simply because I only have one deepest sympathy card and I wanted a change. The stamp is a very old HOTP one and I stamped it directly onto the card. I'm so much braver about doing that now I have a Misti!

I stamped the feather in deep purple and coloured it with pencils (all the bits of this card that look black are actually deep purple)  then layered it on to two shades of purple from my snippets box and added it to the card.

I am sharing this one with
Addicted to stamps and more - Clean and simple
Pixie's Snippets Playground weeks 315/316
Less is More - Purples
Watercooler Wednesday - All About Occasions
  

36 comments:

Di said...

Wow Jane! First of all, I adore both cards - what a corker of a stamp that it! Totally fabulous. And, your snippets card is just right with the sentiment you chose. Sometimes I think that the word sympathy can conjure up 'pity' and generally I do prefer 'Thinking of you'. Of course, I'm STILL diddling around here - unable to think of a stamp or die for Darnell#s challenge - sigh.

Hugs

Di xx

Dotty Jo said...

Very nice cards, Jane! Jo x

brenda said...

That's a really beautiful background Jane and adore the colours, many thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week.

B x

Kathyk said...

Both makes are simply splendid and I love that you feathered the background in one and used my most fave colour on the other! Perfick

Kathyk

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks so much for joining us for the Watercooler Wednesday Occasions challenge this week and sharing your fabulous Twofer feather challenge card. I love the simplicity of this Sympathy card. The feathers are beautiful with their hint of purple and I love the layout of the card.

Craftychris said...

Two awesome feather cards - just perfect for Darnell's new challenge! I haven't entered yet - I must get my skates on! xxx

Loll said...

Two beautiful feather cards Jane!! Love the blended colours on your emboss resist background. The single feather is so pretty on both card fronts. I love the colouring you've added to your CAS version ... just giving a bit of colour down the middle of the feather. Thanks for playing along at Twofer Card Challenge.

cotnob said...

Two fabulous cards Jane, they are both so different.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Lindsey said...

Seldom do my *experiments* turn out as nicely as that first feather! And a gorgeous background, too. The second card is perfect for a sympathy card. (Dark purple, so hard to photograph...)

Nancy Penir said...

These are both beautiful, Jane. Gorgeous stamp and oh my, your bg on the first is remarkable! So lovely! Definitely 2 different cards!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Awesome card designs. But the colorful feather background on the first one is magnificent. I just love it!

Susanne Vargas said...

That is some feather stamp - have never seen anything like that! The background you created with it is stunning. The stamp really shines on the second card with all the white space around it! Thanks so much for joining us at the very first Twofer Card Challenge!

Unknown said...

Two very different cards and both are stunning, love the background you have created on the first one and equally love the CAS design of the second. That feather stamp is gorgeous...what a shame it isn't available anymore
Hugs Kaz xx

NanaConnie said...

A huge gasp and WOW! on each of these cards, Jane! Fantastic use of color.

Darnell said...

Two very beautiful cards, Jane! I really enjoyed reading through the process of how each design came alive and, in the congratulations card, evolved! (Your "feather in your cap" idea is perfect!) Thank you so much for the shoutout and support and for playing along with my first Twofer challenge!! Hugs, Darnell

Izzy Scrap said...

Two beautiful cards ! Love your beautiful background on the first card but my favourite one is your CAS and stylish purple feather on the second one. Perfect take on our challenge ! Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at Less is More !

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

I love both the cards, especially the background on the first one
Thank you so much for joining us at the Rubber Dance challenge blog
Hugs
Donna xx

Heidi Weaver said...

Wow, Jane, what an amazing feather stamp! You've used it beautifully in both cards. The random colours and feathers in the background of the first card are gorgeous. Your second, simpler card is beautiful and the sentiment is perfect. I don't think one needs it to say "sympathy". After all, you're sending your condolences because you're thinking of the person. The deep purple stamping and matte are a perfect companion to the lighter purple colouring. Beautifully done. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

Liz said...

Brilliant feather stamp, Jane. The layout may be the same but the finished cards are so different. Two fabulous cards. xx

Helen said...

Wow! You have created 2 such stunning cards! I love the colour combination and gorgeous background you have created for your first card. It really showcases how one stamp can create such different cards! Thanks so much for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge!

Carol said...

What fabulous cards Jane. What patience to create that awesome background.
Hugs
Carol
xx

Cara said...

Wow, two stunning cards. I have to confess that the first one is my favourite, it looks amazing x

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Beautifully created Jane and fantastic use of your stash. I love the two-fer and now getting quite cross with myself as I've not had chance to play along there yet! Your cards are perfect for Darnell and the team and show such creativity with the one set. I'm thrilled that you created one in purple tones too to play along with us at Less is More. Thanks so much.

Brenda in IN said...

Wow, the feather stamp is gorgeous and your experiment with the colors came out beautiful. Great cards!

Creative world said...

Awesome make and very lovely image and coloring...thank you for joining us at ATSM challenge this week,hope to see you again
Željka DT xx

Gail said...

You are right - feathers are great for a sympathy card. Love the CAS design. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

Barb said...

Two fabulous cards Jane. I love your background. I've been eating melty ice cream today as the freezer has now packed up. Just the latest of a catalogue of problems since Christmas. Barbxx

Created by Kath said...

The first card is my favorite, but both are wonderful! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday!

susiestacey said...

WOW lovely cards the inky one looks fabulous.
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'No Patterned Papers' challenge this week and good luck x Susan x

Tanja said...

looks fabulous - thanks for sharing your project at Addicted to Stamps and More

Sue - said...

Fabulous! I just love that gorgeous inky background you’ve made for the first one!

Mummylade said...

Such fantastic creations! Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Allsorts this week.

BożenA said...

Oh wow! This colorful card is amazing! It gives a beautiful impression of many dimensions, I have the impression that it is feathery to the touch. And the second card is very elegant. Great projects.
Hugs,
BozenA

Mrs A. said...

I haven't been ignoring your entry for the twofer challenge I deliberately didn't want to influenced by any of the great ideas in the gallery. I love , love this curled feather stamp and I love the background for the first card. The colours are so perfect together. Both super ideas . Hugs Mrs A.

Rubber Dance said...

WOW! What an amazing card!!! So beautiful! Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance challenge. xx Susanne.

ionabunny said...

Gorgeous feather and I love that colourful background. Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance challenge. Hugz