Saturday 13 January 2018

Technique at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers

Today at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers it's all about technique - Edna would like you to showcase a favourite technique.



One technique I came to not all that long ago is using bleach  in my cardmaking, and I have a fab NBUS set of Rubber Dance stamps where the main image just cries out to be bleached, so here is what I created.


The bathing beauty is stamped and heat embossed in black on blue card, and then painted in with a waterbrush filled with cheap bleach -  it has to be the really cheap, thin type, not the more common (and more expensive) thick kind. I outlined her and added a few waves to the sea with a blue gel pen slightly darker than the card.

For the background I spritzed more of the blue card with bleach, shaking a few bigger drops on from  paintbrush to give a splashy effect,  then when it was dry, overstamped with the life saver image. Now, is life saver a bit of a controversial word? Do my transatlantic friends use the word to describe a PERSON who saves lives, who I would call a lifeguard, rather than a THING? I can see a discussion starting to form in my head...

Anyway, back to the card - the sentiment and poster images are also from the same stamped set.

I am sharing this with
Use Your Stuff - Something new (the stamp set)
Crafty Creations Challenges - Anything Goes
Rubber Dance Forever Challenge
Sweet Stampin - Lots of Layers  

10 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

This is great, Jane! I've eyed this set a few times myself. Great technique - never tried this one. Jo x

Barbara Godden said...

It has be eons since playing with bleach, I did a class once. Love your card, love the sentiment and I thought Life Preserver was the name for it. I would probably just yell for the ring thing.

Lindsey said...

I think of life guard, not lifesaver, as the person. Lifesavers can be candy, but of course they're rings, so we know where the name originated, and we do still call them that sometimes here across the pond, I'd say. (Or life ring. Unlike Barbara, I associate life preserver with the vest/jacket you wear while boating in case you fall out of the boat...)
Enough of that! The bleach technique was perfect both for the main image and to add interest to the background. Great card!

Bibi Lindahl said...

Fabulous card, Jane! Love the bleach technique, it looks really good! Glad you finally dusted of this stamp set and put it to good use. In my language (Norwegian) we call that thing what would translate to "life buoy" even if it's a ring! Maybe they used a buoy back in the days before the wheel was invented, haha.
Anyway, thanks for using our stamps on your lovely card! ♥

Bibi Lindahl said...

Whoopsie! I forgot to say thank you for entering the card to our Forever Challenge! ♥

Tina Campbell said...

Super cute cool technique too 🙂 Thank you for joining us over at Use Your Stuff challenge blog.
Tina-DT

Cara said...

This is fabulous and the bleaching technique is just perfect for this card x

Cass said...

Fab card. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'
Cass xx

Chris Dring said...

What a fun technique! (And bonus, it makes it smell like your house is spotless!) Love this card! As for the ring, well, we call it a 'ring', or a life preserver, which is also a vest. We Americans are crazy like that. LOL!

Rubber Dance said...

What a fantastic card!!! Just gorgeous! Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance Forever Stamping Challenge and for using our stamps in such a beautiful way! xx Susanne.