Saturday 3 February 2018

An Anti-Valentine card

As I'm sure you know by now, romantic designs just aren't ME (although look out for one on here tomorrow, just to prove me a liar)  so I have a bit of a struggle at this time of year when so many challenges are based around Valentine's Day.

I've made this card for this month's challenge at Naughty or Nice. I generally like to make a card specifically for that challenge and that alone, but I'm sure the lovely ladies there will forgive me  for entering this one into several challenges so that I can stick the pink ink and heart stamp at the back of a drawer until this time next year!

OK, let's get on and get this out of the way.....


Well, it's got hearts on it hasn't it???

The heart stamp is a very old magazine freebie, probably getting on for 10 years old. I stamped it randomly over the card to make a background. Now normally for random stamping I would do it freehand rather than using the Misti, but the Brilliance Radiant orchid ink I was using is very pale and an almost-solid image link this really  needs to be stamped twice over, so it had to be the Misti. Instead of moving the stamp around, I moved the piece of card, popping a scrap of clear acetate over  the stamping while I lined it up each time to avoid having to clean and dry the stamp every time I moved things around. Stamping the image first on the background grid paper also helped me to line up the images that I stamped over the edge.

When the ink was dry, I used Memento ink to stamp the gloriously unromantic sentiment from So Suzy stamps over the background, then edged it all with more pink (shudder) and stuck it to the base card.

I am sharing this with

Naughty or Nice - All Loved Up (naughty, of course)
 

Just Add Ink - Romance 

Retro Rubber - Love, Love, Love   - inspired by the bold black sentiment on the pink and white background
RRCB 79

Creative With Stamps - Heart 

House of Cards - Valentine Background and/or colours
Image result for design seeds kiss

   

22 comments:

Kathyk said...

Well, this card grabs your attention!! It's a fun card for someone with a wacky sense of humour (and I guess your recipient has just that) - FAB

Kathyk

Craftychris said...

Love this, such a quirky sentiment on the fabulous background - gives a smile too! xxx

fun as a gran said...

pleasantly different. sort of thing hubby would buy

Dotty Jo said...

I love, love, love this card, Jane! Thanks so much for joining us at Naughty or Nice Challenges this month, Jo x

Jan Clothier said...

Gosh, I had a good laugh at this one! I enjoy the contrast of those sugary pink hearts with the bold - and blunt - sentiment. It makes me think of a stamp I have that came in a set of other perfectly lovely stamps that says "at least you're still pretty"! Thanks for the tip about stamping the image on the background grid paper too. I can see how useful that would be. Thank you for joining in with us at Retro Rubber Challenge this week.

Debbie Mageed said...

Oh, you made me laugh, too! Your sentiment proves without a doubt that there's a stamp for everyone! LOL I love the CAS style with wonderful details. Thank you for playing along with us at Retro Rubber and hope to see you back in the gallery again soon.

Crafting Queen said...

Lovely card. I remember this stamp! :)

Lynne in NI said...

Oooh your fancy pink hearts are so pretty! Fab sentiment too! Thanks for playing along at Naughty or Nice :)

Helen F. said...

Yes it has hearts~and they make a pretty background to your 'unromantic' sentiment :-)
Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Creative With Stamps this month!

Nikki Spencer said...

Lol at that sentiment! A fun CAS card...Love it! Thanks for sharing at Just Add Ink.

Lindsey said...

You are obviously my kind of people, Jane. All these hearts and flowers and pinks and love, sheesh. So of course I love this card. Thanks for joining in at that other team, Naughty or Nice Challenges!

Lilian said...

So funny! Great card! =)
Thank you for joining us at Creative With Stamps!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

LOL! I love your card but the sentiment is perfection!! Thank you for sharing it with us at naughty or Nice Challenges! Cyndi, DT

Anonymous said...

Ha - this cracks me up! Very funny, really made me smile. Chantell Just Add Ink

Cara said...

I sooooo need that sentiment! Great job x

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Oh WOW!! that sentiment jumped at me as soon as I saw it, made me laugh!!!
Love the pink hearts as the background, so much fun.
Thank you for sharing with us at RETRO RUBBER, hope you play again soon.
Hugs.

creative lady said...

Love the pink hearts...and that sentiment really stands out. Thanks for joining Retro Rubber Challenge Blog.

Dorlene Durham said...

LOL Love the heart background and of course that amazing sentiment! Thanks for joining the heart challenge at Creative With Stamps. Dorlene DT CWS

Claire Grantham said...

Hahahahahahaha, this is very similar to my VDay cards for my girlfriends. It made me laugh a lot. Love the pretty background. Thanks for playing along at Retro Rubber this time. Claire DT

Katy McGloin said...

Your post is as funny as the card, Jane! Love your sense of humor. You have done your duty for the season and it is all downhill from here. Thanks so much for sharing with RRCB this challenge. Always enjoy seeing you in the gallery!

maria f. said...

tee hee hee. Those lovely hearts in the BG make a great camo for that nasty sentiment ;)

Karen Petitt said...

Well I just got to say that I love your anti Valentine card lol! It's brilliant and funny yet still adorable and cute! Thank you for entering your project in the challenge at House of Cards. I hope we see you for the next challenge too Karen DT House of Cards