Saturday 3 February 2018

RECIPE - Ham and cheese bites


Hardly really a recipe, more of a simple assembly job, but it used up some odds and ends in the fridge and came out delicious, so I thought I'd share it as my food posts have become very scarce.

You will need
- the left overs from a pack of ready made puff pastry - I used about a quarter of a pack
- 1 slice lean cooked ham, finely chopped
- about 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the oven to 200C (180 fan), 400F, gas mark 6.

Roll out the pastry quite thinly into a rectangle, scatter with the ham and cheese then roll up tightly and slice into pieces 7-10 mm thick.

Arrange on a baking sheet covered in non stick paper (I gave each one an artistic twist in the middle but they untwisted themselves while cooking, so don't bother being arty)

Bake in the hot oven for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden. 

Cool (if you can bear to wait) and serve as a nibble with drinks.

No need for any brushing with egg, that would stop the pastry from rising as well, but you may want to seal the long edge of the roll with water - as you can see, I didn't because I thought that twist that untwisted itself was going to hold everything in place.


As this was a real fridge-clearer I'm sharing it with Kitchen Clearout at Madhouse Family Reviews

6 comments:

Cheryl Pasquier said...

Ooh I've made these before but not for ages and the kids love them so you've given me a great idea for this afternoon. We usually do half and half sweet and savoury, with either strawberry jam or Nutella as the sweet options :)

Kim Carberry said...

Yum! Yum! I love making things like this. My girls do too. hehehe They never seem to last long once they have cooled x

Unknown said...

Ooh these looks so good - super crispy too! I'd definitely consider making these any leftover cheese I have in my fridge x

Cara said...

Sounds yum, I usually just whack in grated cheese and onion, hadn't thought of adding ham x

Galina Varese said...

These wheels look absolutely scrumptious. I want some now. :)

fun as a gran said...

great easy throw it together snack. We often do cheese straws but will need to add some ham