Saturday 11 July 2015

London Fog

I didn't think I was going to have any time to craft this weekend, but when I saw that the new challenge at Less is More is for a masculine one-layer card, I just had to drop everything and make one! You know how much I like making masculine cards, and although I still find one layer cards difficult, I love the challenge.

I made this card by stamping the pillar box (sorry, I've had the stamp since the dark ages and can't remember where it came from) and masking it off, then using the waste from a die cut of the London skyline (left over from this card which I made using Docrafts Create a Scene Dies) I sponged the buildings in the background to give the appearance of them looming out of the fog. I used grey rather than black for colouring the pillar box, so as not to obscure the detail, although looking at it now I think I should have done the very top in red - isn't it funny how we can have a clear mental picture of something we see every day, yet not be able to recall the exact details? (I'm sure it's not just me - go on, see if you can remember what colour your best friend's eyes are!)

Anyway, we don't get all that much fog in London these days, but when we DO, it looks something like this!


 
I am also sharing this at Mod Squad - Fast and Easy

19 comments:

Jan said...

Great Lim card xx Jan

Cardsbymaaike said...

i was just thinking those foggy days are pretty much done and dusted ;-) Love the card , the mail column really pops against the background and it's pretty obvious which city it is, so kudos

Tara Cardwell said...

Love your card - the background made me think of a Turner painting!

annie said...

Fabulous background and beautiful LIM card!
Annie

Liz said...

A very clever design for a one layer, masculine card. The post box really stands out against the foggy skyline. xx

Erica said...

The background is fantastic for your focal image.

Kathyk said...

This is a brilliant take on the theme

Kathyk

Sue - said...

Super card Jane! Thank goodness we don't get the fog like we used to!

Skye said...

A terrific card. Great background, so wonderfully foggy. The pillar box really pops against the grey

Diane said...

Lovely background and what a wonderful design.

Hugs diane

Neets B said...

Fantastic masking, that pillar box really does stand proud. Fabulous use of the great for your skyline.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More

Chrissie said...

I apologise for my lack of comments over the past couple of weeks, but I'm now back from my cruise and ready for visiting once more!
This is fabulous, the post box looks great against the foggy background!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Fabulous masking Jane and I'm so thrilled you found time to enter the challenge this week!
You've certainly rocked it
Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Anne said...

That foggy background is perfect for your postbox Jane, this looks fab!
Thank you for joining us for one layer week
Anne
Less is More

Carole Dion said...

Love the classy look !

Ann said...

Fabulous choice for this theme - love the letter box, and the sponged fog background is a perfect foil for the contrasting red!

Linby said...

Fab card - love how you used the waste. Well you are truly putting me to shame now - using this die set twice!
Lynn x

Monika Reeck said...

Adorable
I love your CAS design Jane
this is great grey background
looks contrast with the front image
I will remember your idea
Great card
hugs, Monika

wienerhoneymooners said...

Awesome card!!!